Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Consistency Yields Gains

With the New Year in full force and new goals, plans, resolutions in focus I decided to take a trip down memory lane to my contest prep photos from last year, January 2012.  I was 8 weeks out from stepping on stage at the Arnold Classic.  I had entered to compete at the Amateur Bikini Competition.  I remember feeling really healthy and confident last year and happy with how I looked.  Being my own worst critic though, I’m astonished at the amount of work and progress that has taken place since last January!

 It’s important to feel confident in your own skin at any present moment.  When you work so hard towards that image you have in your head of someone else’s perfect body, it’s important to respect your body for all that it allows you to accomplish.  When you accept your body for its strength, it is at that time that you can realize what you need to improve upon and work towards.  Whatever your focus is; possibly improving bicep definition, improving ab definition, reducing your waist measurement, getting rid of your muffin top, saying GOODBYE to wave goodbye arms…the list goes on.  My goal for…I’d say it’s pretty safe to say, the entire 2012 year, was to gain size in general, but specifically to gain size in my glutes, hams, quads.  I would say I am on my way to accomplishing this goal!
When you train hard every workout and eat clean consistently, changes are bound to happen.  As important as it is to set goals, resolutions, bucket lists, it is most important to note the process and the journey you take to get to that future present.  When you track your journey and the feelings you have at points within your journey, you can gauge your progress, adjust accordingly and move forward, closer to your end goal.  It is important to revisit these points down the road.  In the future, you are more knowledgeable and richer from experiences and challenges that have occurred since your last check in.  
So with this trip down memory lane, I remembered how I felt last year, I realized how much work I have done and how much improvement I have made in my physique in this past year.  This check and balance helped me appreciate today a whole lot more.  I think that with constantly striving to be in my best shape, I have begun to take my hard work for granted.  I have gotten really critical of myself and seem to focus more on every inch that needs improvement instead of loving the changes that have taken place.  These moments when I look back and realize that I’m only human and have worked so incredibly hard to get to where I’m at today, I can only appreciate everything that my body has allowed me to do.  Each today has been better than yesterday.  How incredible is that?!
Thus, my New Year’s resolution to me is to appreciate today and to work hard each day to make sure that tomorrow is even sweeter.  The excitement of not knowing what is to come in 2013 pushes me hard each day.  I will work hard so I am prepared for the opportunities that present themselves.
I am now 7 weeks out from the Arnold Classic 2013!!  Although I won’t be competing this year, my preparation for the activities that will take place while I am there will be just as strategic, committed and intense.  I can’t wait to see you all at the Expo – Magnum Booth!!
I wish you your luckiest 2013!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment