Sunday, December 23, 2012

Who is Holly Barker?


Many of you don’t know me personally, and only know me through my sources of Social Media.  What you may see is great photos that I am so proud of – revealing or not, I am comfortable with my body.  You will see photos of me at my gyms being goofy – I believe work should be fun.  You will see me happy.  I am generally a happy person and so lucky to be surrounded by a positive network of people.

I am happiest when I am living my healthiest life.  I love being active, accomplished and involved.  I whistle a lot and usually until I’m told to be quiet.  I sing really loudly in my car and dance.  I believe that a smile and a ‘Hi there” go a long way.  I eat with my hands out of plastic.  I eat tuna on a plane beside a stranger.  I grunt in the gym!  This is me, and conforming just simply isn’t an option.  Of course I have bad days, and sometimes I say things that may be misconstrued or taken in a manner not meant!  Trust me, my intent is not wishing negativity on others.

It’s not just enough to be happy, it’s living with the intent to use this positivity and wish well on others. When you have found what makes you happy, I believe everything else falls into place.  I only hope that I can be a source of motivation to anyone looking to live their healthiest life, whatever that may entail.  Case and point however, I will tell you how I feel.  No one has time to beat around the bush.  Being in the fitness industry, you are used to hearing physical critique, presentation critique, posing critique, suit choice critique, hair and makeup critique.  You are on stage to be judged for the package you bring.  It is depersonalized and becomes your work, your job.  Critisicm is necessary for improvement.  Even the winner must improve from their previous physique and every year of consistant training and healthy living will get you there.

The fitness industry is a small one.  Although, it might seem like another world, once you fully commit yourself to represent the fitness lifestyle, it is a small world indeed.  It is a much better place to be when you focus on bringing your best and getting along with everyone that has put in the hard work just like you.  You can make a lot of friends! 

Along with competing, I also own two fitness facilities in my city.  Devoting my life to this life I hope speaks in itself.  I love this life!  I love what you can accomplish when you live this life. I love the success stories and lives changed in our clubs!   I do not wish negative energy on anyone

I am an advocate to stepping on stage, and whatever stage it may be, I wish everyone nothing, but the successful journey I have been so lucky to travel.  I have met and had the pleasure to work with some pretty amazing people and I have taken something away from each and every one of them.

I write a lot about those that I am surrounded by.  How I could not do it without the support system I am so lucky to enjoy, but above all, you must set goals and strive towards them for yourself.  A true goal is to do something because you truly want it, not because others have doubted you.

I grew up in a very small town.  It was usual to be associated with my last name and who I was related to.  I am proud of my name, but when you grow up and are associated with a name of “tough” what happens when you don’t want to fight?  What happens when you are bullied, and you don’t live up to your name?

I believe life is too short to wish nothing but success for everyone.  I believe that happiness comes from wishing the best for others.  I am not perfect and sometimes what I say can be taken out of context.  But please know that I wish you success in whatever journey you set out to accomplish.  I would love to be a part of it!

Working out to me is my therapy.  I see results and get great gratification out of being strong.  I just may be compensating for a teased youth by making my body my work.  I only wish I could have achieved this when I was younger, but I do know that things happen as they should and for reason.  It is what you do with the things that happen to you that make you who you are. 

I have found myself through fitness and my biggest accomplishment to date would be the people I touch in a positive way. 

Growing and learning each day.

Holly Barker
 

No comments:

Post a Comment